MAYORAL OFFICE CLERK
SALARY: $1,621.70 /BiWeekly JOB TYPE: PERMANENT FULL TIME
DEPARTMENT: Mayor OPENING DATE: 02/08/16
CLOSING DATE: 02/15/16 11:59 PM
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: PEOPLE OF COLOR STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
• The Mayoral Office Clerk is the initial point of public contact for the Mayor’s Office. This entails greeting visitors and callers to the office, working with them to find resolutions to their concerns, directing them to the appropriate City staff, and/or informing them of relevant City ordinances and policies.
• The Mayoral Office Clerk provides administrative support to the Mayor and the mayoral staff.
• The Mayoral Office Clerk must exercise considerable judgment and discretion in referring issues to City staff and must maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information. The Mayoral Office Clerk must be customer service oriented and exhibit a professional and pleasant manner.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Serve as mayoral office receptionist by coordinating the arrival of appointments and answering phone calls.• Serve as the primary point of contact for a wide variety of public inquiries, including complaints, requests for information and requests for meetings with the Mayor and staff. The Mayoral Office Clerk must exercise considerable judgment, tact and discretion in performing these duties.
• Provide administrative support to mayoral staff, including maintaining schedules, arranging meetings, distributing meeting agendas, and assisting with other tasks.
• Perform general clerical tasks such as drafting correspondence, filing, copying, handling incoming mail, ordering office supplies, and maintaining receipts. Serve as back-up to other administrative staff in the office.
• Provide back up support to committee staff which entails preparing agendas, minutes, and other meeting materials.
• Manage City contract process within the Mayor’s office, ensuring contracts are routed to the Mayor for signature and tracked in the City’s computer tracking system.
• Perform related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, working with diverse populations and establishing and maintaining excellent working relationships. Must be reliable, punctual, and able to maintain exceptional attendance. Must have solid written and verbal communication skills. Must exercise sound judgment and maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to provide professional customer service and manage stressful public interactions with tact, empathy, and compassion, and diffusing potentially hostile situations with a diverse client group, including irate, irrational or disoriented individuals.
• Ability to investigate routine complaints, to understand and explain to others a wide variety of City policies and procedures, and to effectively resolve citizen concerns.
• Knowledge of, or ability to learn, policies, procedures, responsibilities and functions of the various City of Madison departments.
• Knowledge of, or ability to learn, city government structure and the working relationships between various parties.
• Working knowledge of English composition, correct punctuation, spelling, grammar and acceptable business letter format.
• Ability to draft or prepare correspondence including letters, memoranda and reports.
• Working knowledge of and ability to use computer programs and software applicable to the duties of the position, including Microsoft Office Suite and various social media platforms.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Three years of responsible clerical experience, one year of which must have been in a reception/public contact position that involved substantial complaint resolution responsibility. Other combinations of experience that results in the possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the duties of this position will also be considered.
This work is sedentary in nature. The Mayoral Office Clerk will be expected to sit for extended periods of time and will be expected to respond to a large number of telephone calls in a day.
THE CITY OF MADISON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER FUNCTIONING UNDER AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PLAN. WE ENCOURAGE MINORITIES, WOMEN AND INDIVIDUALS WITH A DISABILITY TO APPLY.