Brown Girl, Green Money is a social network of women of color, working to reach our financial goals and support each other along the way. The Brown Girl, Green Money crew includes Angela Fitzgerald, Jasmine Zapata, Matiya Hill, Keena Atkinson and Britney Sinclair, a group of 20 and 30 something year-olds that want to figure this “money thing” out and help every brown girl that we can to do the same. We all have different financial goals, but our mission is the same and that is to encourage each other to achieve those goals such that we can continue to make an impact in our communities. Some of our main focus areas include debt elimination, combating poverty, wealth building, support and accountability, entrepreneurship, education, and empowerment.
Last month marked the one year anniversary of Brown Girl, Green Money. That’s 1 year of partnering with the Madison Times and the Milwaukee Courier to share our stories (and the stories of others) and the things that we’ve learned along the way about money. We’re excited about the years to come, as we want to continue to make our presence known while making financial literacy accessible and relatable. Below are just a few of the ideas that we’re cooking up:
• National online community connecting women of color working to reach financial freedom and support each other along the way
• Local money check-ins to build community for women of color to support our individual pursuit of financial goals.
• Financial literacy workshops to educate and empower on how to budget, become financially responsible, and to properly manage a checking/savings account.
• First time home ownership workshops to thoroughly explain the home buying process.
• College preparation workshops to teach youth to properly apply for scholarships, grants, and/ or borrow educational loans responsibly.
• Connecting finances to health through Health Empowerment Workshops
To say that we’re exciting is truly an understatement as we clearly have a lot in store, but we can’t do it alone. We would love to invite you to join forces with the Brown Girl, Green Money team to create events and other initiatives that all center on the theme of culturally-relevant personal finance. If you want to join forces with the crew, either by sharing your story, offering an idea or other level of support for events, please email us at browngirlgreenmoney@gmail. com. You can follow us on Facebook for up-to-date information, and visit www.tinyurl.com/browngirlgreenmoney for all of our past articles. Thank you to each of you who has encouraged and supported us since Day 1. We hope to continue to make you proud