• Home
  • Archive
  • Media Kit
  • Contact Us
  • August 31, 2025

The Madison Times

The Paper That's More Than Black and White

  • News
    • Local News
    • National News
    • International News
    • Sports News
    • Education News
  • Columns
    • Columnists
    • Editorials
    • Letters to the Editor
    • Life Lessons with Alex Gee
  • Events
  • Health
  • Finance
  • Lifestyle
  • Classifieds
  • Community
    • Middle Spread
  • Milwaukee

Share this:

  • Tweet
  • Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Click to print (Opens in new window) Print

Trump Threatens to Cut Money for Baltimore Bridge Collapse Allocated Under President Biden

August 30, 2025

Picture of the Baltimore Key Bridge demolition and removal on 07 27 2024 showing empty spaces where the bridge and its wreckage used to be (Photo by James Radja)

By Lauren Burke

On March 26, 2024, a container ship the size of three football fields named Dali struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge. The bridge collapsed into the Patapsco River in Baltimore. The catastrophe shut thirteen percent of Maryland’s economy, according to officials, and six people were killed. The cost to replace the Francis Scott Key Bridge is close to two billion dollars. Maryland Governor Wes Moore called the event a “global crisis” that impacted 8,000 jobs. But over the last week, the collapse occurred because the latest political football tossed into play by President Donald Trump, who has traded barbs with Gov. Moore on social media.

On August 25, President Trump said, “I gave Wes Moore a lot of money to fix his demolished bridge. I will now have to rethink that decision,” even though the money to fix Key Bridge was allocated under President Biden. Trump’s remarks came after a running series of replies from Trump and Moore, and the Maryland Governor picks up the pace of an aggressive social media strategy that put President Trump on defense — much like what California Governor Gavin Newsom has been doing after Texas’s racial congressional redistricting round threatens the seats of five Democrats, all at the request of Trump. “There is nothing that has Donald Trump’s signature that has anything to do with the Key Bridge,” Gov. Moore said during an interview on Roland Martin Unfiltered on August 25.

Governor Moore asserted that more than 8,000 jobs were impacted by the Key Bridge collapse, and the economic impact is $15 million per day. Officials in Maryland proclaimed the Key Bridge would be rebuilt by 2028. “When they told us it would take 11 months to clear the channel, we did it in 11 weeks. We did it by putting on a case study of showing what it looks like to work together in a time of crisis. We received a 100 percent cost share between the federal government and the state of Maryland that was passed by both Republicans and Democrats in Congress and signed by the former President, Joe Biden. There is no money that Donald Trump ‘gave us,’” Gov. Moore said emphatically.

Whether Trump can interfere with the project is unknown, but it is unlikely. Trump is now on the brink of sending the National Guard into the city of Chicago — a move that Illinois Governor and Chicago’s Mayor are pushing hard against, after sending the National Guard in to “police” Washington, DC. President Trump has been fully focused on targeting Black elected officials around the nation, including DC Mayor Muriel Bowser, Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson, Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass, and Gov. Moore in Maryland.

Share this:

  • Tweet
  • Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Click to print (Opens in new window) Print

Popular Interests In This Article: Baltimore Key Bridge, Donald Trump, Federal Funding Cuts, Lauren Burke, Wes Moore

Read More - Related Articles

  • Trump’s Racist Takeover of Smithsonian Targets Black History and Censors Presidential Truths
  • BET Gutted, DEI Killed, Media Bought—Trump’s Playbook in Action
  • Trump Administration Ends Lifeline Program that Cuts Energy Bills for Low-Income Families
  • Sex, Scandal, and the Politics of Obsession
  • Billions for ICE, Cuts for the Poor: Trump’s Bill Redefines Federal Priorities


Connect With Us

Become Our Fan On Facebook
Find Us On Facebook


Follow Us On Twitter
Follow Us On Twitter

Editorials

Karma Chavez
Amanda Zhang
Julianne Malveaux
Benjamin Chavis
George Curry

Journalists

Jacklin Bolduan
Brianna Rae
Aarushi Agni
Rob Franklin
Claire Miller

Topics

Brown Girl Green $
Young Gifted & Black
Universally Speaking
Ask Progress
Civil Rights

Topics

Police Shooting
Police Brutality
Black Lives Matter
NAACP
Racism

Politicians

Barack Obama
Hillary Clinton
Gwen Moore
Paul Soglin
Scott Walker

Contact Us

Phone:
414-449-4860

Copyright © 2025 Courier Communications. All Rights Reserved.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.